Tuesday, June 11, 2013

On Ochocinco and the pretty judge

I get both sides of it. Really, I do. Who doesn't love an innocuous slap on the ass? I'll tell you who doesn't ... a judge that doesn't take domestic violence lightly, and who is pretty enough to understand how hard it is to be taken seriously, especially when you're a pretty woman.

Chad Johnson, after almost being let off for a domestic violence incident, decided to pat his lawyer on the butt as a way of thanking him for getting him off. The 12-year-old boy in me gets it. The grown woman in me looks at that judge: sure she's earned her place, but, being pretty, has probably been a hindrance for her. How many times has a Chad Johnson not taken her seriously? 

I can't say for sure if a male judge would have been as offended. All I can say is that I'm happy a female judge was. What that signaled to me, was a big "fuck you" to the hierarchy. Yes, Chad Johnson. You can reality date, and impregnate, and pontificate ... but what you can't do is not realize your place. You're in a courtroom. Facing someone with a position of authority. Act like it.

And that pretty, smart, blond judge didn't miss a beat. Talk about winning life's lottery? That's you, Judge Kathleen McHugh. Still not sure whether or not you overreacted. 

But in cases like this? Give me the over. Every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment