Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Push For WFAN

Hi guys.

As many of you know (because of the constant barrage of tweets and facebook updates) I'm competing in a contest on WFAN. The winner gets a radio show and full tuition to the Connecticut School of Broadcasting. Either of these things alone would be life-changing. Both would make me question why I'd gotten so lucky.

Many of you already know my story. We've done little things like interacted on Twitter; some of you have been kind enough to come keep me company at work (work being a bar where we watch sports together, and talk about sports and discuss our fantasy football lineups and blah blah blah). But many of you I call friends. We've been to games together, watched games together, been elated and dejected together, but sports is the thing around which many of these friendships evolved.

So I just wanted to thank you all. For the support, the encouragement, the retweets, the facebook posts, the hearty (and sometimes heated) debates ... all of it. If I make it through, the next part will be scary and exciting and I will do my best. It's all anyone can do.

I also want to take a second and let you know how this came to be and what it would mean to me.

I entered the first incarnation of this contest 5 years ago at the suggestion of my former coworker and friend, Tony Zazella, who told me it was "my calling." I didn't know about all that, but I thought "what the heck." I probably wasn't as scared as I should've been, because I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I made it to the semifinals, but no further. But I was encouraged, and vowed I would try again someday.

As you all know, life has a way of getting in the way of someday.

I'm not much of a dreamer. I'm a boring ol' realist. But the stars kind of aligned for me, and I don't want to be such a realist that I don't notice when this happens. I lost a job. The place closed unexpectedly, but with the exception of a loss of income, everything about this was a good thing. At the same time, Fantasy Phenom 5 was announced. As far as I know, these have always been held in the summer, but for some reason, this one was in February.

Had I not found myself unexpectedly down a job, there wouldn't have been a time I could audition. But without a job as an excuse to talk myself out of it, I got on a bus and took the 2 1/2-hour trek out to Palisades Mall in Nyack. Because the bus ride took longer than expected, I got there late. Luckily, I was still able to audition, but I was going to be last, or close to it.

I was the only girl there. Just like about every other day at my job. No biggie.

It was a long, nervous wait. But I did it, and now here I am in the semifinals. Instead of having a 1-in-whatever chance, I now have a 1-in-13 (analytics!). 

I don't claim to be an expert. But I love sports... (spectator mostly). I've talked to you guys about them, tweeted about them with you, tailgated with you, and been to countless games with you.

I've seen every team in the Metropolitan area play in their arena (ok, no Devils, but Nets twice).  I love talking about sports, I love New York, and here I am with the opportunity to combine those two things into a job. With a chance to get an education to boot. So bear with me and all my annoying tweets as long as I'm in this thing.

I really want to win it.

No shame in my game.

If you have a few seconds, please vote (scroll to bottom)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/wfan-fantasy-phenom/




No comments:

Post a Comment